Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Day 77: Money, Money, Money...

 photo bb2d5985-2120-4002-83e1-d655b825a821_zps6495181f.jpg
Day 77:  Just recently I posted a video about the health aspects of what nicotine to do to you and your body.  Well, actually, I've posted MANY times about that because it's the biggest reason I quit, and I assume it's the biggest reason most other people quit as well.  Guess what the next biggest reason is?  Go ahead, guess. For me, besides being around for myself and family, it's about saving money...A LOT of money! 

Today is day 77 for me. Before I quit, I was chewing A LOT.  Every two days I was spending $16.70 on chew and that's ONLY if I got it at a discount tobacco store. I'd spend even more money if I got it at a regular convenience store, which was not uncommon.  As a matter of fact, I''m willing to bet that 25% of my chew came from regular stores, which means inflated prices per can.  I did the math without including that, which would have made my total savings higher, and to be honest, more accurate. 

So far, I have saved $642.95 (probably more).  That's ONLY through 77 days of not chewing! I'm not even counting the day I quit for 17 days before I had a dip either. Imagine what that is per year!  The answer is   A LOT!  It's a lot of money to save for more important things like bills, fun, oh and perhaps Auden and Beckett might want to go to college one day.  Imagine how bad I'd feel if it came time for Auden to go to college and I waited until then to sit down and do the math.  I bet you I would have chewed away her college education, which would mean I obviously would have chewed away Beckett's  Wow...I don't know if I would have been able to live with myself.  Man oh man...Hell, who knows what my health would even be like when it came time for them to go to college!  The only thing worse than throwing our money away on chew would be to throw my life away and NEVER see them graduate college!

 photo 5ad9bd6d-f064-499e-be07-35ea4739cd5c_zpsa734f6a8.jpg

Imagine all the things one person can do in a life time with money they coulda, woulda, shoulda saved instead of becoming addicted to nicotine?  Just imagine...A new car...hell, a luxury or sports car!  Like I mentioned above, a college education...season tickets to your favorite sports team, how about annual vacations instead of that biannual weekend get away?  My point is, ANY reason to save money is better than throwing it away on nicotine. 

Ok, here's another "point."  I absolutely promise you that we ALL know someone who spends a ton of money on nicotine that should probably not be doing so.  Seriously, take 10 seconds to think and I guarantee you'll be able to think of someone (probably more than one person) who should be spending their money on needs rather than nicotine.  Wait, a second...IS that person YOU?  is it?  Are you being honest with yourself?  Still not convinced?  OK, try this.  Starting today, keep track of exactly how much money you spend on nicotine for the next month.  Don't lie, cut corners, justify it, bluff yourself or others, or deny it.  Look directly in the mirror and take responsibility for YOURSELF.  I was that guy...

I always found a way to justify my spending.  It was my money and I earned the right to do what I wanted to do with my money right?  Well guess, I didn't WANT to chew, I just assumed I wanted to chew because I could quit whenever I was ready.  Bullshit.  I chewed because I was addicted, meaning I had to chew, no matter what I told myself.  No once can afford to chew or smoke, it doesn't matter how much money you have....Think about it...Good night all...

No comments:

Post a Comment